COVID-19 Response in Kigali, Rwanda
Website / Documentation
SOS aims to provide up-to-date information and prevention measures to children, young people and caregivers in Kigali.
Children all over the world are growing up without the care, protection, and guidance they need. SOS Children’s Villages is there, working with children, young people, and families to tackle this global issue on a local level.
We have been operational in Kigali, Rwanda, since 1979. Here an overview of our activities:
1. STRENGTHEN FAMILIES: We ensure that children have access to essential educational, nutritional and health services, and we help parents in protecting and caring for their children, for example by offering guidance on income-generating skills and parenting.
2. DIRECT CARE: We provide direct care to children who are not able to live with their families.
3. EDUCATION: We provide education to more than 900 pupils, from Kindergarten to vocational training;
4. ACCESS TO THE JOB MARKET: We provide young people with training and liaise with local businesses so that they can gain work experience.
5. HEALTH CARE: Our SOS Medical Centre provides basic physical and mental health care as well as treatment, check-ups and preventive measures to members of the local community who may not otherwise be able to afford these services.
The spread of the COVID-19 virus puts our work at risk. Our priority is to protect the beneficiaries of our programs, especially children and vulnerable families. To do so, we are adopting an EMERGENCY PROTOCOL to provide up-to-date information and prevention measures to children, young people, caregivers and staff.
To protect children and families and prevent COVID-19 disease infection, we are implementing a variety of measures. Among them:
1. AWARENESS RAISING on the importance of handwashing and social distancing
2. STRICT COMPLIANCE with the Lockdown
3. PROVISION OF FOOD to children and families in lockdown
4. PROVISION OF MEDICAL GOODS including first aid kits to children and families in lockdown
4. SECURING OF REGULAR MEDICAL CHECK-UPS, information sharing and reporting
5. CREATION of a QUARANTINE SITE within the SOS Children’s Village
- Mental health
- Raising capital
What we need help with
Please contact us. We are happy to send you a detailed description of the project and a rough budget.
Best way to get in touch
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org